10. Enjoy outdoor festivals and chatting with local people. Virgilina Summerfest May 26, Cantaloupe Festival June 13, Staunton River Bridge Battle commemoration (150th anniv.) June 21-22, Patrick Henry Day at Brookneal July 4, Lakefest in Clarksville July 17-19. Details at Halifax County Visitors Center.
9. Catch the sun’s rays and wade in the water at Buggs Island Lake’s many beaches.
7. See Bob Cage’s Sculpture Garden near U.S. 360. You won’t see anything like it anywhere.
6. Check out Halifax County’s many wineries. Sample their best and buy some to take home. Blackberry wine is a local favorite.
4. Enjoy our fine restaurants, particularly the upscale Bistro 1888, the Molasses Grill for dinner, and Cafe Peroni and Southern Plenty for lunch. Windmill Farms, a Mennonite bakery is especially unique. Gatrell’s Cowboy Up Café in Virgilina is fun for karaoke.
3. Go hiking, biking or horseback riding at the Tobacco Heritage Trail.
1. Attend the summer theater at the Prizery with two excellent summer stock musical productions: Hairspray June 19-July 2 and Les Miserables, July 11-20.