Coming Events, 2016:
May 5, 6: Heritage Festival, Fairgrounds
May 14-28: South Boston Speedway
May 28, 29, June 4, 11,& 18: Disney’s Little Mermaid musical, Prizery.
May 28-29 Virgilina Summerfest
June 4-18 South Boston Speedway
June 17,18,19,22,23,24,25,26: Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Carousel (with Mike), Prizery.
July 1,2,3 Red White and Broadway, Prizery
July 1, 16, 30: South Boston Speedway
July 4: Local parades, Patrick Henry home celebration
July 28: Cantaloupe Festival
Aug. 13, 27: South Boston Speedway
July 8,9,10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17: West Side Story, Prizery.
Sept. 3, 17: South Boston Speedway
Sept. 24: Harvest Festival, Fairgrounds.
“Time in nature is not leisure time; it’s an essential investment in our children’s health (and also, by the way, in our own.)” –Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder.
A Tour of Thomas Day’s Works (Free Black Cabinet Maker Before Civil War)
A local African-American entrepreneur from the early 1800s is gaining widespread recognition for his unique furniture and indoor woodworking, a notable accomplishment during Black History Month. Several of his works are on display at Oak Grove Plantation.
From 1820 to 1860, this businessman, Thomas Day, had dozens of workers, both white and black (including his own slaves), handcraft and later machine-craft architectural elements and furniture. He became the largest furniture manufacturer in North Carolina with his uniquely designed beds, wardrobes, chairs, cabinets and mantels.
More than 150 years later, the talented free black man is finally gaining recognition from the Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of History in Raleigh, N.C., his hometown of Milton, N.C., and the region’s tourist industry. All have displayed and promoted this craftsman’s handiwork.
Click on the links below for more information about our area!
Nearby Staunton River State Park has won a Virginia Green award as one of only international 25 dark sky parks in the world! Their celebration in 2016 is Oct. 24 to 30, but you can look at the stars from our front yard, if you would like! You’ll see constellations and bright stars you would never see from the city.
- Staunton River Battlefield, location of a skirmish where Southern reserves fought off Yankee soldiers near the end of the Civil War.
- Thomas Day Tour
- South Boston Speedway, home of NASCAR-style auto racing.
- South Boston Museum of Fine Arts and History
- Buggs Island/Kerr Lake, a half hour east of Oak Grove, it has boating, swimming, fishing in a man-made lake behind Kerr Dam.
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia International Raceway, also in Halifax County, features major auto, motorcycle and chump car races every year.
- Halifax County Community Calendar
- The Prizery, the primary theater featuring summer musicals and winter plays and musical events. It is located in a former tobacco warehouse.
- Bob Cage’s Sculpture Garden is a must-see on any trip. A local artist created huge sculptures on his land, which is also grazed by goats.
- Southern Virginia Wild Blueway, kayak or canoe paddling on local rivers.
- Halifax County Bike Routes. The county is perfect for wide-open rides on lightly traveled roads, with gentle, rolling terrain. Husband Mike will lead you on a ride if you’d like.
- Tobacco Heritage Trail – Halifax County Facebook page
- Ringgold bike and hiking trail near Danville
- Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail
- Halifax County Tourism
- South of Dan Historical Tour
- Halifax Walking Tour
- South Boston Walking Tour
- Clarkton Bridge