A Tour of Thomas Day’s Works (Free Black Cabinet Maker Before Civil War)
A local African-American entrepreneur from the early 1800s is gaining widespread recognition for his unique furniture and indoor woodworking, a notable accomplishment during Black History Month. Several of his works are on display at Oak Grove Plantation.
From 1820 to 1860, this businessman, Thomas Day, had dozens of workers, both white and black (including his own slaves), handcraft and later machine-craft architectural elements and furniture. He became the largest furniture manufacturer in North Carolina with his uniquely designed beds, wardrobes, chairs, cabinets and mantels.
More than 150 years later, the talented free black man is finally gaining recognition from the Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of History in Raleigh, N.C., his hometown of Milton, N.C., and the region’s tourist industry. All have displayed and promoted this craftsman’s handiwork.
Click on the links below for more information about our area!
- Staunton River Battlefield, location of a skirmish where Southern reserves fought off Yankee soldiers near the end of the Civil War.
- Thomas Day Tour
- South Boston Speedway, home of NASCAR-style auto racing.
- South Boston Museum of Fine Arts and History
- Buggs Island/Kerr Lake, a half hour east of Oak Grove, it has boating, swimming, fishing in a man-made lake behind Kerr Dam.
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia International Raceway, also in Halifax County, features major auto, motorcycle and chump car races every year.
- Halifax County Community Calendar
- The Prizery, the primary theater featuring summer musicals and winter plays and musical events. It is located in a former tobacco warehouse.
- Bob Cage’s Sculpture Garden is a must-see on any trip. A local artist created huge sculptures on his land, which is also grazed by goats.
- Halifax County Bike Routes. The county is perfect for wide-open rides on lightly traveled roads, with gentle, rolling terrain. Husband Mike will lead you on a ride if you’d like.
- Tobacco Heritage Trail – Halifax County Facebook page
- Ringgold bike and hiking trail near Danville
- Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail
- Halifax County Tourism
- South of Dan Historical Tour
- Halifax Walking Tour
- South Boston Walking Tour
- Clarkton Bridge
Calendar of Events 2015
May 22: Movies on Main, South Boston, “Strange Magic”, 9 p.m.
May 23: June 6, 20: Auto Racing, South Boston Speedway
May 25: Virgilina Summerfest (20 minutes away)
May 31, June 6, 13, 20, 27: Aladdin Jr., Prizery
June 5: North American Road Racing Assn., Virginia Intl Raceway
June 6: Friday Night Jams, Halifax
June 9, 30, July 14: Open Mic, Prizery
June 12: Virginia Cantaloupe Festival, Berry Hill.
June 13: Virginia Festival of Speed (Motorcycles) VIR
June 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28: Wizard of Oz musical, Prizery (Mike is in it).
June 20-23: Milton (N.C.) Street Fair
July 4: Parade, Clarksville. Re-enactments, Patrick Henry’s Red Hill.
July 16-18: Lakefest, Clarksville
July 17: Movies on Main: “Dirty Dancing.”
July 17: Tire Rack Original Track Car Challenge, VIR