A Tour of Thomas Day’s Works (Free Black Cabinet Maker Before Civil War)
A local African-American entrepreneur from the early 1800s is gaining widespread recognition for his unique furniture and indoor woodworking, a notable accomplishment during Black History Month. Several of his works are on display at Oak Grove Plantation.
From 1820 to 1860, this businessman, Thomas Day, had dozens of workers, both white and black (including his own slaves), handcraft and later machine-craft architectural elements and furniture. He became the largest furniture manufacturer in North Carolina with his uniquely designed beds, wardrobes, chairs, cabinets and mantels.
More than 150 years later, the talented free black man is finally gaining recognition from the Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of History in Raleigh, N.C., his hometown of Milton, N.C., and the region’s tourist industry. All have displayed and promoted this craftsman’s handiwork.
Click on the links below for more information about our area!
- Staunton River Battlefield, location of a skirmish where Southern reserves fought off Yankee soldiers near the end of the Civil War.
- Thomas Day Tour
- South Boston Speedway, home of NASCAR-style auto racing.
- South Boston Museum of Fine Arts and History
- Buggs Island/Kerr Lake, a half hour east of Oak Grove, it has boating, swimming, fishing in a man-made lake behind Kerr Dam.
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia International Raceway, also in Halifax County, features major auto, motorcycle and chump car races every year.
- Halifax County Community Calendar
- The Prizery, the primary theater featuring summer musicals and winter plays and musical events. It is located in a former tobacco warehouse.
- Bob Cage’s Sculpture Garden is a must-see on any trip. A local artist created huge sculptures on his land, which is also grazed by goats.
- Southern Virginia Wild Blueway, kayak or canoe paddling on local rivers.
- Halifax County Bike Routes. The county is perfect for wide-open rides on lightly traveled roads, with gentle, rolling terrain. Husband Mike will lead you on a ride if you’d like.
- Tobacco Heritage Trail – Halifax County Facebook page
- Ringgold bike and hiking trail near Danville
- Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail
- Halifax County Tourism
- South of Dan Historical Tour
- Halifax Walking Tour
- South Boston Walking Tour
- Clarkton Bridge
Calendar of Events 2015
June 27: Aladdin Jr., Prizery
June 30, July 14: Open Mic, Prizery
June 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28: Wizard of Oz musical, Prizery.
July 4: Parades, Clarksville, Scottsburg. Re-enactments, Patrick Henry’s Red Hill.
July 16-18: Lakefest, Clarksville
July 17: Movies on Main: “Dirty Dancing.”
July 17: Tire Rack Original Track Car Challenge, VIR
July 25: South Boston Truck and Tractor Pull
Aug. 1: NASCAR Style Race, South Boston Speedway
Aug. 7: Chump Car World Series, VIR
Aug. 7-8: Downtown Sidewalk Sale, South Boston
Aug. 8: Halifax Farmer’s Market Day Celebration
Aug. 14: Concert on the Green, South Boston: River City Katz-Richmond’s Premier Party Band
Aug. 15: NASCAR style race, South Boston Speedway
Aug. 21-23: Oak Tree Grand Prix Tudor United Sportscar Championships, VIR
Aug. 29: Biscuitville World Series, VIR
Aug. 29: NASCAR Style Race, South Boston Speedway
Sept. 4-6: National Auto Sports World Series, VIR
Sept. 5: NASCAR Style Race, South Boston Speedway
Sept. 11: Outdoor movie, downtown South Boston
Sept. 19: Cycle Fest of Speed, VIR
Sept. 19: Wild Blue River Festival, Halifax
Sept. 19: NASCAR Style Race, South Boston Speedway
Sept. 26: South Boston Harvest Festival