Some Local Events During Our 2013 Season:
May 1-3: Heritage Festival, South Boston
May 4-5: “Elvis Has Left the Building,” show at Prizery
May 11: Racing, South Boston Speedway
May 16: Chamber of Commerce After-Hours, Oak Grove Plantation, 5:30 p.m.
May 17: Friday Night Jams, Halifax
May 25: Virgilina Summerfest
May 25: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
June 8: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
June 14: Friday Night Jams, Halifax
June 15-16: Festival of Speed Motorcycle Racing, Virginia International Raceway
June 15: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
June 20-30: Oliver musical at the Prizery
July 3: Auto racing South Boston Speedway
July 3-6: Red White and Broadway musical at the Prizery
July 4: Fourth of July parade, Scottsburg
July 13: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
July 14: Radical Cup Series, Virginia International Raceway
July 18-20: Lakefest, Clarksville
July 12-21: Legally Blonde musical at the Prizery
July 20: Auto Racing, South Boston Speedway
July 26: Cantaloupe Festival, South Boston
Aug. 3: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
Aug. 11: Chump Car World Series, Virginia International Raceway
Aug. 16: Friday Night Jams, Halifax
Aug. 17: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
Aug. 30: Auto racing, South Boston Speedway
Sept. 21-22: Festival of Speed motorcycle racing, Virginia International Raceway
Sept. 27-29: Heacock Classic Gold Cup, Virginia International Raceway
Sept. 28: South Boston Harvest Festival
Click on the links below for more information about our area!
- Staunton River Battlefield, location of a skirmish where Southern reserves fought off Yankee soldiers near the end of the Civil War.
- South Boston Speedway, home of NASCAR-style auto racing.
- South Boston Museum of Fine Arts and History
- Buggs Island/Kerr Lake, a half hour east of Oak Grove, it has boating, swimming, fishing in a man-made lake behind Kerr Dam.
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia International Raceway, also in Halifax County, features major auto, motorcycle and chump car races every year.
- Halifax County Community Calendar
- The Prizery, the primary theater featuring summer musicals and winter plays and musical events. It is located in a former tobacco warehouse.
- Bob Cage’s Sculpture Garden is a must-see on any trip. A local artist created huge sculptures on his land, which is also grazed by goats.
- Halifax County Bike Routes. The county is perfect for wide-open rides on lightly traveled roads, with gentle, rolling terrain. Husband Mike will lead you on a ride if you’d like.
- Virginia Birding and WildlifeTrail
- Halifax County Tourism
- South of Dan Historical Tour
- Halifax County Courthouse
- Clarkton Bridge
Other Helpful Links