“Time in nature is not leisure time; it’s an essential investment in our children’s health (and also, by the way, in our own.)” –Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder.
Coming Events (2019)
Aug. 23-25 Michelin Challenge Race, Virginia International Raceway
Aug. 24 NASCAR Late Model racing, South Boston Speedway
Sept. 1 Dark Skies star gazing at Staunton River State Park.
Sept. 14-Danville Harvest Jubilee–Charlie Daniels, Travis Tritt
Sept. 14-15 Motorcycle Fall Festival, Virginia International Raceway
Sept. 28- Pigs in the Pit, Virginia International Raceway
Sept. 28-South Boston Harvest Festival
Oct. 1-5-Halifax County Fair
A Tour of Thomas Day’s Works (Free Black Cabinet Maker Before Civil War)
A local African-American entrepreneur from the early 1800s is gaining widespread recognition for his unique furniture and indoor woodworking, a notable accomplishment during Black History Month.
Several of his works are on display at Oak Grove Plantation.
From 1820 to 1860, this businessman, Thomas Day, had dozens of workers, both white and black (including his own slaves), handcraft and later machine-craft architectural elements and furniture. He became the largest furniture manufacturer in North Carolina with his uniquely designed beds, wardrobes, chairs, cabinets and mantels.
More than 150 years later, the talented free black man is finally gaining recognition from the Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of History in Raleigh, N.C., his hometown of Milton, N.C., and the region’s tourist industry. All have displayed and promoted this craftsman’s handiwork.
More can be found in Mike’s article in the Danville Register & Bee.
For details on the regional tour, see the Halifax County tourism website under “Plan a Trip”Go here for a 9-minute PBS Video of Thomas Day and his works.
Follow the links below for more information about our area!
- Staunton River Battlefield, location of a skirmish where Southern reserves fought off Yankee soldiers near the end of the Civil War.
- Thomas Day Tour
- Tobacco Heritage Trail – Halifax County Facebook page
- South of Dan Historical Tour
- South of Dan Historical Tour
- Halifax Walking Tour
- South Boston Walking Tour
- Try some star gazing at Nearby Staunton River State Park has won a Virginia Green award as one of only international 25 dark sky parks in the world! Their celebration in 2016 is Oct. 24 to 30, but you can look at the stars from our front yard, if you would like! You’ll see constellations and bright stars you would never see from the city.
- Southern Virginia Wild Blueway, kayak or canoe paddling on local rivers.
- Halifax County Bike Routes. The county is perfect for wide-open rides on lightly traveled roads, with gentle, rolling terrain. Husband Mike will lead you on a ride if you’d like.
- Buggs Island/Kerr Lake, a half hour east of Oak Grove, it has boating, swimming, fishing in a man-made lake behind Kerr Dam.
- Ringgold Bike & Hiking trail near Danville (Note: The Ringgold trail was gouged out by storm water from Hurricane Michael in 2018 and was not passable in most places in 2019.