Oak Grove Plantation wins “Green Travel Leader” award from Virginia Green!
Our inn has won plaudits from customers and green industry leaders for its many environmental efforts. Among steps we have taken:
- We won the Virginia Green Travel Leader Award in 2017 from Virginia Green “for continued efforts to reduce the environmental impacts of your operation.”
- In 2016, we installed an electric car charging station, one of only two in Halifax County. We also have a Nissan Leaf electric vehicle.
- Motorists who arrive in hybrids or electric cars get a third night free.
- We have the first solar photo-voltaic system to generate clean electricity at a Virginia bed & breakfast. We have 48 solar panels, including 32 from Halifax Solar Cooperative.
- To pay for the other 16 panels, we used a Virginia Land Conservation Incentives Act program to preserve the land in perpetuity, a move that made them eligible for tax breaks to make up for the lost property value. Oak Grove then sold the tax breaks and used the proceeds to pay for the solar array.
- We recycle, have a compost pile for vegetable scraps and have installed “low-e” energy-efficient storm windows on the south side. We installed central a/c and heating using a 15 SEER heat pump.
- There is optional linen service and, and sheets and towels are dried on a clothesline. Rain barrels collect water, the inn has a tankless electric hot water heater, and we use LED and compact fluorescent lighting.